Virtual Gallery Reflection

For this task we had to create a virtual gallery that displays the work we done. After we finished the gallery, we had to record us walking through the gallery.

The virtual gallery shows off the skills we learnt creating the exhibits. The photo room shows off the skills I learnt in photography. The 2D room shows off the skills I learnt in Photoshop and photo manipulation. The 3D room shows off the skills I learnt in 3DS Max and Unreal Engine. The cinema room shows off a dubbed video, this shows off skills I learnt in Audacity and Adobe Premier. The creation of the trigger boxes shows off simple coding skills in the Unreal Engine. The entire virtual gallery also shows off organisation skills because of the layout of exhibits.

These skills are applicable for the indie sector because most of the things created in the gallery was created on my own or with another person, never in a large group. It also be applicable for virtual reality because you view it as a first person perception of the gallery and if I was able to do so, I could of coded it so a VR set could connect to it and where the wearer looked the in game character could look. Triple A sector also applies as the virtual gallery demonstrates multiple skills and job roles for a company capable of producing them. Mobile can also work because it could be used as a virtual CV for me or for anyone else who has created something similar.

One job role is photographer. Most photographers are free lancers, meaning they are able to choose their working hours and who they work for but there is no regular income and stability. Another is film editor. Most film editors work for studios meaning they have a stable source of income but it can be a stressful job because you have to precise and you will have to keep to dead lines while doing it.

To make sure I completed my work and to keep to deadline, I did some of it in my spare time when I was not working and at college.

To ensure safe working practises I made sure the wires coming from and to the computers were safely out of the way and none of the wires were split. I also made sure I sat down properly, back strait and computer eye level. I also had regular brakes while working as well.

I used voice overs in my gallery to explain certain pieces of work in my like my Limbo paper dub and Space Paint. This was done to make the virtual gallery feel like a real gallery because real galleries have audio tour guide that explains each exhibit. There is also ambient sound/music to make the gallery feel lively instead of having just silence. The textures I used for each room, I tried to make them look like the real life things, for example I used red in the cinema because most cinemas are red or use red.

These elements helped to create the mood of realism because I based each room on real life examples, for example red in the cinema.

I could alter the textures colours to give make the gallery theme change, for example I made my gallery look real but I could used bright colours to make it feel futuristic or use dark colours to set a horror mood. I could changed the layout and room designs to change the feel as well. For example I could make each room look abandoned and falling apart to set a horror feel.

Research tools used for this task was looking up online example of galleries and cinemas, which was secondary research. We even visited a gallery that had a photography exhibit that I used as inspiration (The Beaney), which was primary. To get the ambient music, I went to Free Music Archive and listened to some music on there and eventually chose a tune called Night Owl by Broke for Free.

I used my research to get ideas on textures and layout of each room so I have plan on what my gallery could look like. I used Textures.com and Free Music Archive for textures and ambient music. These websites were useful for finding the correct textures and ambient music but I do think they could use a improvement for searching for these items because they was not a lot of customisation when trying to search for things (you had to be specific when searching for stuff).

Evaluation

I would improve my research methods by getting more primary research because I did not get a lot of primary research. To improve my preparation I would gather more textures and sounds for each room instead just one, so I could compare each texture to the environment I am putting them in, so I could see if they fitted in with the exhibits and the layout of a room.

 

 

 

British Wildlife Photography Awards

Me and my Interactive Media class visited the Beaney Museum in Canterbury. They had an exhibit for the British Wildlife Photography Awards.

I saw many different photos with different meaning, what surprised me the most was most of the photos were not set up. Only a few photos were setup. I also learnt that over and under exposing and over exposing a photo to light can be a good thing because it can make the photo look good and improving the meaning of the photo as well.

I mainly looked at three photos

starling murmuration

Starling Murmuration

Owen Hurmphreys

 

 

Puffling

Puffling

Richard Shucksmith

 

 

Banded DemoMale banded demoiselle {Calopteryx splendens}, silhouetted against the 'moon', Lower Tamar Lakes, Cornwall, UK. June 2014.iselle

Ross Hoddinott

 

Starling Murmuration:

The photo used a Nikon D4s with a 70mm-200mm lens set to 155mm. The shutter speed is 1600 while the aperture was set to f4 (wide).

Puffling:

The photo was taken on a Nikon D4 with 70mm-200mm lens. The shutter speed was 1/2500 with a aperture. The film speed (ISO) was 1600.

Banded Demoiselle:

The camera used was a Nikon D800 with a 200mm macro lens. The shutter speed was set to 1/800 with a aperture set to f4. the film speed was set to 400.